Your TV Ads Ain't Being Watched
In a study that came out a while ago, BIGresearch asked about simaltaneous media usage as well as what people do when a commercial comes on TV. Not surprisingly, most people don't watch the ads.
"When asked when you watch TV and a commercial comes on, what do you do?
- 15.3% of population regularly leave the room
- 30.2% of population regularly mentally tune out
- 30.1% of population regularly watch, but not with full attention
- 30.8% of population regularly channel surf
- 32.4% of population regularly talk with others in the room or on phone"
So, what's an advertiser to do? Give in to media multitasking. Some of the BIGresearch findings, while focusing on the question of developing a model for media planning when there is simultaneous media usage, show that:
- 32.7% of males and 36.4% of females regularly watch TV when they go online.
- 23.8% of males and 29.1% of females regularly go on online when they are watching TV.
- 16.8% of males and 22.2% of females regularly watch TV when they read the mail.
Use the web. It works.