Who's In -- and Who's Out -- in the TwitteRFP
What's cool about this method is it put both large and small agencies on an equal playing field: that incessant stream-of-consciousness noisebox where we blow 3-4 of our good working hours per day.
What's bad? The #TwitteRFP hashtag wasn't just used to turn in actual work; our streams were flooded for DAYS with:
o Tragic puns on the word "current."
o Random ass-kissing and elbow-rubbing with @jkretch the RFP gatekeeper.
o Unnecessary philosophizing (let's just say "game-changer" was used more than once, and that's more-than-one too many times).
o Gratuitous intra-agency back-patting.
Basically it was agency Survivor -- except without the hungry people, and all the rage was passive-aggressive. (Nothing wrong with a little passion, but times like this we lament that Twitter lacks an insta-video feature for confessionals, impromptu love scenes and haterade-spewing.)
Scroll down to see the (not very) shortlist -- as well as agencies that didn't make the cut. We also linked to the proposals (when we could find them).
If this is the future of agency RFPs, I'm gonna grit my teeth every time ass-kissing season starts. But it's fun to click the tinyURLs and look at the work. And how often do you see people dive into an RFP like kids on a broken pinata?
Some proposals couldn't be found; if you can find them, linky linky please and we'll update the list.
- 22 Squared - See the live brainstorm, reused as PR fodder by the agency, of course. *coughcoughWHOREScoughcough*
- Amalgamated - (proposal.)
- Attik - (proposal as haiku.)
- Boone Oakley - (proposal.)
- Brunner - (proposal + full context.)
- colle + mcvoy - (proposal. Ugh. Peddling for RTs. Did we use embarrassing yet? Good.)
- Concerto - (something about blood and Windex.)
- Crayon - (proposal.)
- Creature - (proposal.)
- Duncan Channon - (proposal, if that even counts.)
- Element 79 - (Do a promise and a #followfriday a full proposal make? Apparently so.)
- Goodness Manufacturing
- McGary Bowen - (Protected updates?! YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.)
- McKinney - (...Oh, my.)
- Mendelsohn Zien - (proposal.)
- MMB580 - (proposal.)
- Modernista! - (proposal. They even went Hulkster kin on us.)
- Momentum/McCann SF
- Olson - (proposal.)
- Partners and Napier - (proposal.)
- Stick and Move - (proposal...?!!)
- Wexley School for Girls - (proposal.)
The Shamed and Shafted.
These guys didn't make the cut. But here are their labours of love.
- Audience Agency - (proposal.)
- Bailey Gardiner - (proposal.)
- Catalyst Studios - (proposal.)
- Citizen - (proposal.)
- Cliff Freeman & Partners - (proposal.)
- Clockwork - (proposal.)
- Colossal Squid Industries - (proposal.)
- CP+B - (response deleted but it's the fucking internet, nothing really disappears, so here's what @bogusky said: "@Jkretch CPB will take your business on 4 conditions: 1)No pitch 2)We work w/ Al directly 3)Double your budget 4)Current moves to Boulder." Ballsy, Alex, but Current doesn't really care about your hair.)
- Deep Focus - (proposal.)
- Elizabeth Gebhardt - (proposal.)
- Hill Holiday - (proposal.)
- Level - (proposal.)
- LiveLight! - (proposal.)
- Peak Seven - (proposal.)
- Periscope - (Look at them, all Pick! Us! and whatnot.)
- Plaid - (proposal.)
- RR Partners - (proposal.)
- Schematic - (proposal but start here.)
- Syrup - (proposal.)
- TTD - (Follow the link trail.)
- Type3 - (proposal.)
- Yooter InterActive - (proposal.)
(Sorry @ehans. They needed more wethinks.)
o Verdict's still out on the merits of attention-whoring. Two agencies shouted loud from Minneapolis; one made it.
o A few agencies didn't seem to have any entry visible. (*shakes head in mock disgust*)
o Transparent? Riiiiight. A lot of guys yanked their proposals right off the 'net after appearing on the shortlist. Way to "get" social media.
o Give peace and quiet a chance: Oil companies have fewer lobbyists. Say your piece and move on.
o A brand spankin' new microsite isn't actually a social media experience, actually.
o At least half the entrants weren't active on Twitter in general until the RFP. The other half now have twice as many updates directed to @jkretch as before the RFP was announced. Which pretty much makes him the equivalent of @oprah in our little corner of the world.
o Lotsa big fish in the wading pool.
o We got a fake @jkretch. Score!
o Getting chummy with the Gatekeeper? Not cool. If you wanna get on the ride, keep your hands, feet and lips inside.
For a more concise take on the #TwitteRFP madness -- and an awesome potshot of how it managed to spill over into the (nonplussed) offline world -- mosey on over to AdFreak.