Nike Supports Local Community With 'Back Your Block'
Getting all power of the human spirit on us, Nike is out with Back Your Block, a $650,000 grant program developed to support local communities and schools and to "unlock the potential of young people through programs that focus on sport."
Social marketing (formerly youth marketing..but, ya know, they jumped on the bus just like everyone else) agency Mr. Youth, created the campaign website, a promotional video, blog outreach and activated an army of 250 Task Force influencers to pimp the effort buzz marketing-style.
Nike Retail Community Relations Senior Manager Kari Mitchell said, "This represents and excellent opportunity for us to be involved in local communities. We are excited to offer a program where anyone can nominate their favorite organization for a grant and vote on the applicants they feel most passionate about."
Some detail of the program:
- Applicant organizations and nominating or voting individuals can share their activities via social networks such as Facebook and Twitter and encourage their supporters to vote for their program on the Web site.
- Public support and voting will contribute to the decision making process. Final decisions will be made by the Nike National Grant Selection Committee.
- Factory stores in Portland, Ore., South Chicago, Ill. and New Orleans, La. are considered "Community Stores." The Portland Community store will award $100,000 in grants, and South Chicago and New Orleans will each award $50,000.
- All other stores will award a $2,500 grant to their local organizations.
- Participating locations include Nike Factory Stores, Nike Towns, Nike Stores, Nike Clearance and Nikestore.com.