Warning: include(/inc/detect_ads.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/home/shall62/public_html/2010/03/index.php on line 11
Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/inc/detect_ads.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /usr/home/shall62/public_html/2010/03/index.php on line 11
Warning: include(/inc/header.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/home/shall62/public_html/2010/03/index.php on line 12
Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/inc/header.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /usr/home/shall62/public_html/2010/03/index.php on line 12
If you're attending ad:tech or if you're in San Fransisco, you'll want to be sure to attend the Opening Night Party held the first night of ad:tech San Francisco, April 19 at 7:30PM at Roe Restaurant and Nightclub. Hosted by Marissa Louie, Murray Newlands, Brian Solis and myself, Steve Hall, there will be a brief half hour panel followed by lots of drinking and mingling.
Come and be social. There's more information on a facebook page and you can register to attend on this Eventbrite page.
Of his new book (entitled How to Make it as an Advertising Creative), BBH's Simon Veksner, publisher of the Scamp blog, tell us, "I know there's a lot of ad books out there, but I'm hoping mine's a little different. There's nothing in it about what makes a good ad, or how to write a good ad. Instead, it's all about what you need to know to be a successful creative, above and beyond being good at writing ads. So it's not about craft, it's about guile. It's about how to get the best out of directors, how to find the right partner, and how to sell more of your ideas to your CD."
In writing the book, Veksner spoke with Trevor Beattie, Jeremy Craigen, Paul Silburn, Flo Heiss, Jeff Benjamin (interactive ECD at Crispin Porter), Amir Kassaei (chief creative officer of DDB Germany) and Aussie creative entrepreneur Siimon Reynolds. And the book's forward is written by David Droga.
Once we give it a read, we'll tell you more about it but we like the approach. We don't need any more "how to make a great ad" books.
"These streets are reflections of ourselves." That's a line in one of the commercials from a new LevLane-created campaign for the Philadelphia Recycling Office. There are five spots in all. Each is the result of a 75-person audition of word performances from Philadelphia area artists.
With the tagline, Un Litter Us, the campaign aims to get people to care about their neighborhoods by informing them they are what the residents make of them.
In addition to TV, radio, transit and, the campaign will also include street poetry events, Facebook and Twitter presences, signage-designated "Litter Free School Zones," and block-by-block community mobilization drives.
Three of the commercial can be seen here, here and here.
Um. Where is the logic in this spot? Guy sits on dock. Guy chants, "Cigarette. Cigarette. Cigarette." While chanting, shark jumps out of water and begins to tear guy's arm off. Guy continues to chant, oblivious to shark tearing his arm off. That is until he pops a Nicorette lozenge which, one assumes, helps him stop obsessing about smoking a cigarette. So he can realize a shark is tearing his arm off.
Of course, by the time this idiot realized he was obsessing about a cigarette while a shark was attacking him, quite a bit more than his arm would have been torn of.
OK, yea, we get the whole cigarette obsession thing. It's over-powering. It distracts. It's a desire that must be met. And Nicorette is supposed to help assuage that desire ostensibly so you can come to the realization your arm is being torn of by a shark.
Of course in a scenario like this, you'd be dead before you came to that realization.
Hey we love lingerie as much as the next ad blog but we never really thought of it as jewelry. Of course that's irrelevant because any way you think of lingerie is always a good way. So even if a brand wanted to tout it's lingerie as, oh, say, Live Bait, we'd be down with that as well.
When you move to the middle of upstate nowhere, you become privy to some seriously wacky shit. Like yesterday's Live Bait vending machine sighting. And the daily onslaught of local Hyundai car dealer Billy Fuccillo. Maybe you've already caught these over the years but everyday the man barks into the camera and utters his long-time catchphrase, "It's HUUUUUUGE!" And he really does say it that way. Actually, he says ,"It's HUUUUGJA!" You just have to see it to believe it.
Of course it's no surprise car dealers are famous for this sort of idiocy. But, as with all advertising, if you can latch onto something memorable, you might as well go for it. And in acknowledgment of Fuccillo's pervasiveness, his advertising has spawned many a parody. There's Fuccillo Blow. No One Likes Billy Fuccillo. There's Ka-Bam from a competing dealership. There's Fuccillo-style bible sales. And then there's the HUUUUUGE outtakes. And make sure you don't miss the HUUUUUGE mistake he made on air when he said, "Go fuck your wife." No, seriously.
HP is out with an un-aired ad featuring Annie Leibovitz. It's part of their series with Rhys Darby of Flight of the Conchords and Dr. Dre. It looks so familiar. Like we've seen it before. Probably on some other ad blog or something. Wait? What? There are other ad blogs out there? Not everyone reads Adrants? OMG!
Following its amazing, IAB MIXX Award winning Love at First site long form ad, Lacta, along with help from consumers, has crowdsourced another gem, Love in Action. Yes, we are a sucker for these things. Thank you OgilvyOne. Will we see you onstage at this year's IAB MIXX Awards?
All the news that is.
- Seriously" Can we please stop with the consumer-generated Doritos idiocy?
- The Art Director's Club has announced its National Student Portfolio Review which will take place May 3-5 at the ADC Gallery in New York. The ADC needs reviewers. If you're interested, contact Flora Moir, ADC education coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org, 212-643-1440, x16.
- Don't Text and drive. It's the new don't drink and drive campaign.
- A reader writes, "I don't believe I can possible explain how awesomely awful he truly is. See for yourself" One. Two. Three. We're way too tired and bored to bother figuring out this viral.
- For making the compassionate decision never to use great apes in ads and for substituting animatronic technology and stock footage for captive animals in recent TV commercials, BBDO New York has won PETA's Humane Ad Agency Award.
- Oh so this is how Leo Burnett (Lisbon) does such great work.
- Burger King has a deal with Dig where empty search results return an ad for the Double Cheeseburger.
- Melinda Mettler has been named to the post of Director of Online Student Relations at the Academy of Art University, and replacing her are two veteran educators from the Art Center College of Design--Roland Young, a graphic designer who has taught both design and advertising courses at Art Center, and Ellen Shakespeare, an agency copywriter, who taught in Art Center's advertising program. The pair will co-direct the AAU's School of Advertising.
- Dear Carlos Mandelbaum, please....for the love of the smile...PLEASE invest in a teeth whitening product! Your teeth are more horrific to look at than all those clips of tragedy.
- Some people will do anything for their favorite sports figure. "Before LeBron becomes a free agent in just under 100 days, I will endure 23 painful/ridiculous/potentially embarrassing things to show LeBron how much he means to Cavs fans and the city of Cleveland."
- Dana Severson has hooked up with the Iwearyourshirt.com guy jason Sadler for a new venture, IDesignYourLogo. The business model is simple. One logo a day, for one company a day.
- These things are never as good as their origins. Tay Zonday does Musicolio.com.
- This ad is really, really long.
There's nothing super outstanding about this Canadian Doritos Viralocity submission from Aleysa Young in which various people get all hot and sweaty from eating Doritos Hot Stuff. But there's something especially disconcerting about her Facebook profile picture which was sent to us along with her submission.
Personally, we like this one much better. Except for the end. Yea. Just skip over that part.
Warning: include(/inc/column_right.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/home/shall62/public_html/2010/03/index.php on line 10963
Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/inc/column_right.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /usr/home/shall62/public_html/2010/03/index.php on line 10963
Warning: include(/inc/footer.php) [function.include]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/home/shall62/public_html/2010/03/index.php on line 10964
Warning: include() [function.include]: Failed opening '/inc/footer.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /usr/home/shall62/public_html/2010/03/index.php on line 10964