At Cannes International Festival of Creativity today, Publicis Chairman and CEO Maurice Levy sat down with Nestle CEO Paul Bulcke to discuss a number of topics. In terms of managing a large brand globally, Bulcke, not unlike the head of any other global company might say, said the brand's essence is developed globally and executed locally. And for a brand with 118 different flavors of Nescafe - each designed to appeal to differing taste senses around the globe - local execution becomes very important.
Read the rest on Yahoo! Scene.
The Thursday night party scene at Cannes Lions was, to say the least, an interesting dichotomy. On the one hand, you had the Ogilvy party held at the Grand Hotel. It was a chic affair complete with red carpet, velvet entryway, swanky cocktails, delectable delicacies including shrimp, sashimi and two guys doing acrobatics on 50 foot tall poles.
Oh yes, it was a fancy affair for Ogilvy employees from around the world who made their way to Cannes this year. Unlike many of the parties at Cannes, it felt a bit like a fancy office party. Now, that's not saying it was a bad party. After all, you could actually hear yourself talk and the food was a plus.
Read the rest on Yahoo! Scene.
George Parker will absolutely hate this but here's even more video coverage from Cannes. Check out Terry Gilliam at the Gutter bar. Y&R's David Sable talk about his first job in advertising. More Barbara Lippert. The brands people would have sex with. Deutsch crew telling the rest of us how to break into the business. See Lions winners comment on their wins.
When he picked up Martin Sorrell's iPad during the Cannes Debate session to comment on what a wonderful device it is for viewing porn, Dreamworks CEO and Co-Founder Jeffrey Katzenberg said, "I hope this isn't yours, Martin, because this is pretty sick!"
Katzenberg joined Sorrel and News Corporation Deputy Chief Operating Officer and Chairman and CEO James Murdoch for a discussion on a range of topics including advertising, movie making and the use of technology in the creative process.
Of Cannes tagline change to The International Festival of Creativity, Katzenberg noted it embraces the increase partnership between advertising and Hollywood and the realization that creativity can come from many place.
When Sorrell asked Katzenberg about the creative process, Katzenberg said it's always "a difficult balance between art and commerce." He noted the right balance can net spectacular rewards but a swing too far in either direction can result in in a poor outcome.
A new category this year for Cannes Lions is Creative Effectiveness. On the shortlist, among others, are BBH New York for Axe's Clean Your Balls, Weiden + Kennedy for Old Spice's The Man Your man Could Smell Like, BBDO New York for Snickers' You're Not You When You're Hungry and TBWA\Mdia Arts Lab for Apple's Mac vs. PC.
See the full list here.
The shortlist for Film Craft Lions has been released. Included on the list are:
- BBDO New York for AT&T's Bedtime Stories (Production Design)
- Deutsch LA for Volkswagen's Force (Direction)
- Mullen for JetBlue's Cab Jam, Glass Half Full and Local (Direction)
- AgencyTwoFifteen for Microsoft Xbox's Birth of a Spartan (Cinematography
- Wieden + Kennedy for Chrysler's Born of Fire (Editing)
- Goodby Silverstein & Partners for Logitech's Kevin Bacon Fan (Script)
- Saatchi & Saatchi LA for Toyota's Swagger Wagon (Best Use of Music)BBH New York for Google's chrome Speed Tests (Sound Design)
- Y&R New York for LG Electronics' Something's Lurking (Special Effects and Computer Graphics)
- David&Goliath for Kia's This or That (Animation)
You can view the full list here
The shortlist for Cannes Lions Titanium and Integrated has been released. On the list are:
- Weiden + Kennedy for Old Spice's The Man You Could Smell Like
- BBH New York for Google's Chrome Fast
- Google Creative Lab for The Wilderness Downtown
- TBWA\Chiat\Day LA for Gatorade's Replay Season 2&3
- Crispin Porter + Bogusky for Domino's Show Us Your Pizza
- Ogilvy & Mather New York for IBM's Watson
- Mother New York for Target's Kaleideiscopic Fashion Spectacular
- BBDO New York for AT&T's The Last Text
- Weiden + Kennedy for Levi's Ready to Work
- DraftFCB San Francisco for EA's Your Mom Hates Dead Space 2
- Droga5 for Bing's Decode Jay-Z With Bing
- R\GA for Innovative Thunder's Pay With At Tweet
- R\GA for Nike's The Film Room.