Nielsen has released two new white papers, "Reaching the Right Audiences Online: Early Findings from Nielsen Online Campaign Ratings," and "Beyond Clicks and Impressions: Examining the Relationship Between Online Advertising and Brand Building." Tidbits from the two papers include:
- Online campaigns are being consistently delivered to people outside the advertiser's intended audience.
- Campaigns with high impressions are still only reaching a fraction of the intended audience.
- Online delivers audiences more effectively than some popular TV shows.
- Click-through rate is not the right metric to measure brand impact - virtually no relationship exists between clicks and brand metrics or offline sales.
- But, brand metrics for online campaigns can predict offline sales impact.
You can download each of the white papers here and here.
At the IAB MIXX Conference this morning during Advertising Week, Hulu announced Ad Swap, a new advertising product that allows watchers to swap out an ad they are watching for one that's more relevant.
As described on the Hulu blog by Hulu SVP of Advertising JP Colaco, "When an ad begins to play, a user can click on the Hulu Ad Swap icon in the top left corner of the player and bring up a number of ad choices, customized to that user's profile and previous ad viewing preferences."
Social media marketing software company Wildfire, today, announced the release of new analytics that allow marketers to gain understanding of their brand's reach on Facebook, including how well brands are accessing the friends of their fans and how successfully they're creating brand advocates. Wildfire's new analytics will work with Facebook's new Insights metrics but are said to help brands to these metrics in aggregate across all their Facebook pages and tabs.
Of the new analytics, Wildfire Founder and CEO Victoria Ransom said, "Facebook Insights provide marketers with powerful social media measurement tools to better understand and influence the discussion between a brand and its audience. Partnering with Facebook allows us to deliver a fully-integrated analytics solution that builds upon the foundation provided by Facebook's platform. Our enhanced social marketing tools give Wildfire customers an advantage when it comes to brand engagement."
When used in combination with Facebook Insights, Wildfire's analytics will highlight engagement, a metric Mark Zuckerberg, at the recent f8 conference, said is becoming increasingly important.