Afternoon Delight: Sex Still Selling Axe, Consumer Spending Drops
- Barbarian Group has announced the hire of its first Executive Director of Business Development, Christopher Wollen. In the newly created role, Chris will be focusing on the growth of existing TBG business including Samsung, GE, Bloomberg + Pepsi, reporting directly to TBG President Sophie Kelly.
- Dylan Stuart, a business, brand and design strategist with extensive experience consulting for Fortune 500 and emerging market clients, has joined Lippincott as a partner in its London office.
- In the UK, six artists, including Banksy collaborator Paul Insect, have postered their own work over existing outdoor campaigns to "challenge the destructive impacts of the advertising industry."
- MINI makes music with horn concerto.
- If you haven't already heard (you are living under a rock), Yahoo! has named Google exec Marissa Mayer its new CEO.
- Consumer Spending Drops, Tech And Entertainment Hit Hard.
- Omnicom Group reported a 2.1 percent gain in revenue for the second quarter to a little more than $3.5 billion, with a 2.8 percent net income gain to $283 million.
- MediaCom USA is merging its digital and innovations operations with its branded content unit into a new division called MediaCom Beyond Advertising.
- Gannett newspaper advertising revenues tumbled 8.1% to $594 million, while total circulation revenues slipped 0.6% to $264 million. By contrast, digital revenues grew 4.5% to $181 million, while its broadcast revenues jumped 11.4% from $184 million to $205 million.