3 of the Top 4 Most Shared Super Bowl Ads Of All Are Budweiser Ads
Despite Budweiser claiming three of the top four most shared ads of all time, Volkswagen's 2011 spot "The Force" continues to hold onto the top spot, according to data released today by video ad technology company Unruly.
The auto brand's commercial, which features a mini Darth Vader, has attracted more online shares across social media than any other Super Bowl sponsor's commercial (5,279,772 shares). However, the VW ad is no longer the most shared ad of all time after it was overtaken by Activia's World Cup ad, "La, La, La" - featuring Colombian pop princess Shakira last summer (5,875,075) - after more than three years in the #1 position.
Budweiser appeared most frequently on the all-time Super Bowl list, taking up almost a third of the top 10. Its tribute to the victims of 9/11 from Super Bowl 2002 (#2), featuring its famous Clydesdale horses, is the beer company's most shared Super Bowl ad to date, attracting 3,480,685 million shares. The video trends every year around the anniversary of September 11.
Its next most shared ad is "Brotherhood" (#3), which was the most shared commercial from the 2013 Super Bowl. The most popular ad from last year's Super Bowl, Budweiser's "Puppy Love", is in fourth position after attracting more than 2 million shares.
Movie studios Universal Pictures and Paramount Pictures also make it into the top 10, with two trailers from the Fast and the Furious franchise (#6 and #9) and one from Star Trek (#10), respectively. Memorable spots from Ram Trucks (#5), a 'trackvert' from Chevrolet featuring OK GO (#7) and Volkswagen's "The Bark Side" (#8) also make it on to the list.
Top Super Bowl Ads of All Time
1. The Force: Volkswagen Commercial - Super Bowl 2011 - 5,279,772 shares
2. Budweiser: 9/11 Commercial - Super Bowl 2002 - 3,480,685 shares
3. Budweiser: "Brotherhood" - Super Bowl 2013 - 2,891,209 shares
4. Budweiser: "Puppy Love" - Super Bowl 2014 - 2,002,143 shares
5. Ram Trucks: "Farmer" - Super Bowl 2013 - 1,940,542 shares
6. Universal: Fast & Furious 6 - Big Game Spot - Super Bowl 2013 - 1,504,867 shares
7. Chevrolet: OK Go - Needing/Getting - Official Video - Super Bowl 2012 - 1,342,452 shares
8. The Bark Side: 2012 Volkswagen Game Day Commercial Teaser - Super Bowl 2012 901,587 shares
9. Universal: Fast Five Trailer - Super Bowl 2011 - 886,669 shares
10. Star Trek Into Darkness - Official Teaser - Super Bowl 2013 - 705,935 shares
To see the top 20 Super Bowl ads of all time, click here.
Unruly's Top 10 Super Bowl Brands data is based on data from the Unruly Viral Video Chart and Unruly Analytics, which ranks videos by the number of shares they attract across Twitter, Facebook and the blogosphere as opposed to the number of views.