It's just really hard to fathom that Robert Downey Jr. used to be a drugged out, has-been actor on the brink of death. The dude truly has become the Iron Man. His latest commercial outing, aside from his many successful films, is a two year deal with HTC that will place Downey front and center in a new campaign for the brand, launching August 15, that will playfully endeavor to define what HTC stands for.
We've all become very used to celebrities and sports figures endorsing everything under the sun. We've also become very used to the fact these celebrities and sports figures get paid millions to say great things about the brands they endorse. But when so much money is at stake, how do we really know if any of these celebrities or sports figures actually mean what they say? After all, most people would say anything you told them to if you gave them a few million dollars, right?
A Happy Tim Armstrong
- AOL has agreed to buy Adap.tv for $405 million allowing AOL to expand its video advertising offerings.
- Dish Network Chairman Charlie Ergen -- whose company has 35-plus broadcast stations off the air in a fee dispute -- expects more blackouts, with programmers continuing to raise prices for carriage rights.
- According to the Alliance for Audited Media, formerly the Audit Bureau of Circulations, total magazine circulation fell 1% from 292.9 million in the six-month period ending June 2012 to 289.9 million in the six-month period ending June 2013.
- OMG! L'Oreal model Cheryl Cole is appearing in a skincare campaign...wait for it...without wearing foundation
Yesterday in Moscow, Samsung announced that global sports icon and four-time Grand Slam title winner Maria Sharapova was named as its brand ambassador for the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics. In this role, Sharapova will work with Samsung to promote sporting and Olympic ideals as well as help raise awareness for Samsung's Sochi 2014 sponsorship.
The company also unveiled its Samsung GALAXY Team Russia for Sochi 2014, which features NHL All-Star and 2009 Stanley Cup champion Evgeni Malkin. The Samsung GALAXY Team is one of Samsung's key initiatives around the Olympic Games, aimed at promoting the Olympic Movement and providing "direct contact" between Olympians and their supporters around the world.
Jenny McCarthy, who recently unleashed her breasts for Carl's Jr. can now be seen pimping Blu e-cigarettes in a television campaign breaking August 5. Making note that while dating "smelling like an ashtray isn't the ideal aphrodisiac," McCarthy talks about how smoking e-cigrettes have made her feel better about herself and have eliminated the guilt associated with smoking.
The ads, and associated webisodes introduce a new Blu eCig Starter Pack, packaging that recharges the eCigs.
With tobacco companies getting hit from all aside, the eCig business is projected to grow to $1 billion in 2013. And Blu already has a 40% share of the market.
OK, First of all, Christina Applegate is 41. Let that sink in for a minute. 41. Got it? 41. It seems just yesterday she was 18, all sexed up as Kelly Bundy wearing tight miniskirts and crop tops on Married With Children giving men of all ages something pleasurable to think about while trying to go to sleep on a lonely night.
At 41, the woman is still scorchingly hot but as a mom she tends to shy away from the short skirts and crop tops preferring, instead, more conservatively elegant mommy-wear.
Now, Applegate can be seen in a new Zambezi-created campaign for Coca-Cola's Glaceau Fruitwater, the brand's zero-calorie fruit-flavored line of water.
- Christie Brinkley's daughter, Sailor, will appear in her first ever ad campaign at the age of 15 for Claire's.
- Apparel company Primitive has gathered together the hotness of all its models; Christine Mendoza, Alexis Lopez, Justene Jaro and Rosanna Castillio, among others, under the Twitter and Instagram hashtag #primitiveladies.
- Digiday takes a look at why so many media planners are women.
- Working with RPA, Honda, basically copying the Old Spice Response Video campaign, launched a campaign that would respond to people who tweeted why they want a new car with the hastag #wantnewcar
If you're a fan of footballer David Beckham, your'e going to love this new Sky Sports commercial in which multiple David Beckhams go through their day staying connected to the sporting world with Sky Sports.
In the ad, we see the Beckhams check sports scores in the morning, pick up the kitchen, leave for work, sit on the couch, head to the coffee shop, make an appearance at and event and then appear, all six Beckhams, to catch a game.
Like an annoying little gnat, rapper Tyga, aka Michael Nguyen-Stevenson, attempts to carry on a conversation with NBA legend Shaq in a new Footlocker commercial created by BBDO New York.
In the ad, Conversation Lift, Tyga and Shaq can't hear each other because of the significant height difference. Enter the Conversation Lift. Tyga uses it to rise to Shaq's level to the two can converse.
The ad touts Reebok's new Shaqnosis sneaker, something Tyga is far too young to appreciate.
Twilight star Robert Pattinson will soon be seen in an upcoming Dior Homme campaign. Early photos were released via Dior's Twitter account late Friday which show a fully clothed Pattinson relaxing in a bathtub while admiring a disembodied pair of legs propped alongside the tub.