For those seeking a hero in a beauty queen, Miss America has created her own browser to protect young girls from online predators.
Each site the browser accesses is filtered and approved by the Miss America Organization and the Children's Educational Network. It also reads email out loud and can instruct kids to do laundry or homework, based on parental programming.
Par for the course if she can improve the ratio for the 1/5 Americans who can't locate the States on a map. Miss South Carolina failed miserably in that regard, but maybe that's why she didn't win the crown.
We're not really sure why you'd want to tell a buddy that he or she "is God," but Eric Clapton's PR team is hoping you will.
The image at left is being promoted to celebrate "Complete Clapton," which goes out on October 8. In the meantime, you're invited to send a "[Buddy's Name Here] is God" ecard to somebody you (presumably) worship in exchange for the chance to win a Fender Stratocaster electric guitar.
Guess that makes sense.
So auteur David Lynch has gone from Eraserhead to Blue Velvet to Twin Peaks to...a Gucci commercial? One could argue it's a sad state of affairs when all a down on his luck (misunderstood?) filmmaker has left is filming commercials. Or one could argue it's a step up since it seems every Hollywood director is doing it these days.
While we not sure about the soundtrack in this Gucci commercial - Blondie's Heart of Glass - visually, it's all David Lynch. It's like a scene out of Twin Peaks with supermodels dancing instead of that freaky little guy. In fact, if you replaced the Blondie tune with the Twin Peaks theme, it would be Twin Peaks. Don't get us wrong. We love Lynch. Though, we wish he'd hurry up and give us another Mulholland Drive or a Lost Highway we could actually understand.
Interesting. When every marketer is on a land grab for the latest Second Life, MySpace, Twitter or Facebook stunt, Metropolitan Life, perhaps being true to the blandness that if life insurance, has chosen old fashioned eBay (remember all those stupid auctions?) to place its MetLife Snoopy in Fashion promotion. Part of Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, the promotion lets people bid on fashions designed by Heatherette, Isaac Mizrahi, Betsey Johnson and Pamella Roland, Kristin Chenoweth, Whoopi Goldberg, Elisabeth Hasselbeck, and Ingrid Hoffmann.
Design for a September seventh runway event, proceeds from the bids will go to Dress For Success, "a non-profit organization which promotes the economic independence of disadvantaged women by providing professional attire, a network of support and the career development tools to help women thrive in work and in life."
For once, an eBay auction that doesn't have anything to do with tattooing body parts or auctioning off pixels on a website. And who doesn't love Snoopy?
This just goes to show that holding executive status in the same universe as Virgin's Richard Branson is an increasingly ridiculous job. Janet Stanek of Stand Advertising has committed to spending 30 hours perched on a billboard overlooking a highway in Buffalo, NY.
She was set up there yesterday morning and will remain there until noon today.
The stunt accomplishes (?) three goals: to celebrate Stand's 6th anniversary, raise $30K for Make-a-Wish, and "get out of those interminable Monday morning status meetings." We feel you on that one, Janet.
Janet will be tethered onto the billboard with little more than a sleeping mat and a tent (which, we hope, includes a loo). Watch her brave the elements (for the children, no less) at Boss on a Billboard.
Any way we can get a soccer ball up there with her?
Shmuel Tennenhaus writes to tells us Comedy Central has placed a profile for Sarah Silverman on JDate. Yea, this is nothing new. Dating sites have been fooling around with "fake" listings for a long time but we like Sarah Silverman so give her a click.
- China, perhaps after witness the degradation of Western society, has decided to ban advertising for push up bras, sex toys and other clothing that is figure-enhancing.
- Will they sell out to MDC? Will they seek capital and go it alone? Tune in to Advertising Age for the continuing drama on MDC's possible move to majority ownership of Crispin Porter + Bogusky.
- Soon you will be able to splash yourself with a different celebrity fragrance each day of the month.
- Damn! What we just said above.
- You just know social media has made it when it becomes an eBay auction. Yes, the I Am Hungry Facebook application was sold on eBay for $20,100.
What's a meatball sundae? It's the unfortunate result of two good ideas smashed together -- and the topic of Seth Godin's next book, which is generating much buzz on Hype Street at Advertising Week.
We couldn't go anywhere last night without hearing about it. Marketers describe Meatball Sundae as an invitation to approach web 2.0 as an opportunity to enliven company culture, even as passion begins to make way for bureaucracy.
Alternatively, Godin claims to see web 2.0 as a chance to "transform" the organization. Two sides of the same coin? Read about the book from the meatball-loving mouth itself.
Taking pains to stay relevant, MTV and Tila Tequila join forces to give us the cheesy, farcically sexy, undoubtedly watchable A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila, which the PR hounds are rabidly touting as "the first bi-sexual dating show!!!!!!!111"
To help address any confusion Tila might have about her revolving sexuality, MTV has decided to help her find love by throwing 16 straight guys and lesbians at her.
Finalists will move into her mansion (is this beginning to sound familiar?) and vie for Tequila's sunrise as she narrows them down.
The show premieres October 9th at 10 pm ET/PT. We'd say we can't wait, but that would be lying.
- Tom Ford and Vulva fixate on a particular female body part and introduce a new advertising trend: Vaginads.
- Not that you frequent a laundromat all that often but if you do, you just might be assaulted by washing machines bearing gigantic advertising posters.
- We stir debate as to whether or not Mazda, which does still make cars, can still create good commercials.
- What's a week without an appearance by our favorite hottie, Obama Girl? This time she's hooked up with Giuliani Girl to support the troops on behalf of the Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans Association.
- Look! Look! Look! Now you can blow an ad banner and make a website freeze!