- Yawn. PETA films hot models fellating vegetables because, well, it's sexy and they're never going to get on the Super Bowl anyway.
- Don't let your partner interrupt your dreams.
- And in more PETA news, the organization wants to put up a Go Vegan billboard in Denver but two outdoor companies have rejected it. Something about cattlemen's inability to come.
- The call for entries is now open for the 2011 international ADC Student Brief competition, part of the ADC 90th Annual Awards. The deadline is March 18.
- UK singer Sophie Jones, who recently went from a B to a D cup courtesy of the Harley Medical Group, will appear in a campaign for the medical center.
- New York Festivals has announced Donald Gunn, Founder of the Gunn Report will Moderate NYF's Executive Jury for 2011 International Advertising Awards.
- BFGoodrich Tires has signed a multi-year deal with Shaun White that will chronicle the 10-time Winter X Games gold medalist' preparation for the Winter X Games.
- Shalmor Avnon Amichay/Y&R has launched The Dislike Petition on YouTube, a promotion against human trafficking. Previous campaign work includes storefront design with women for sale.
- If you're into androgynous men with shaved chests and waif-thin models, you might like the new Versace Spring 2011 ad campaign.
- Susan Sarandon puts on the milk mustache for the Got Milk ad campaign.
- The Paley Center for Media will present the twenty-eighth annual PaleyFest from March 4 to 17, 2011 at the Saban Theatre in Beverly Hills.
- Selling cars 101: Illustrate how strong their bumpers are. With a crane.
- Oh and here's that The Ladders spot. Ridiculous. Funny.
- Mashable reports, "Strata, a Chicago-based customized media management agency, polled 100 agency clients this month and found that TV is still the dominant medium - 44% of respondents said they are most focused on television above other media. That's a 24% jump over the previous quarter. Digital was second with 21.1% while radio netted 15.6%, a 75% jump from the third quarter."
- The Career Builder chimpanzees will be back for this year's Super Bowl in a commercial slated to air during the third quarter of the game. Someone call PETA.
On Tuesday, April 12, the second day of ad:tech, the Affiliate Marketing Awards will be held at the W from 5:30PM to 9:30PM PST. Award categories will include Best CPS Network,
Best CPL Network, Best Coreg Network, Best Merchant Campaign, Best Agency and, just for fun, the Hottest Affiliate Manager and the Hottest Affiliate, both of which are open to men and women.
Pivot Conference, launched last year with over 700 attendees, is getting a new editorial leader: Brian Solis. Solis, who is taking over for Guidewire CEO Chris Shipley, is a well known speaker, author and an all around nice guy.
Dubbed the "TED of Marketing" by author Douglas Rushkoff, Pivot Conference is aimed at helping brand marketers and their agencies bridge the gap between themselves and the social consumer.
If you work in advertising, you're familiar with the concept of building brand awareness and equity. You're also familiar with the concept of sales; direct, channel and otherwise. You may not, however, be familiar with affiliate marketing. You should be.
Affiliate Marketing is like having a sales force on steroids. Brands that create affiliate programs by offering tools and incentives which make it easy for others to sell their product which can greatly increase sales. Affiliates - those who sign up for a brand's affiliate program - are an aggressive bunch. It is their personal mission to make as much money as they can with affiliate marketing and their financial gain is a brand's financial gain.
- With GeoTrust, security never looked so hot. Or repulsive depending upon which button you click.
- The New York Daily News has put together a collection of 98 ads which feature celebrities sharing lots and lots of skin.
- Microsoft has placed it's $1 billion media business into review. May the best shark win.
- On Tuesday, January 11 at 7PM at the Museum of Modern Art, The One Show will host an event to honor the best digital work of the past decade. You can view the winners here.
- SNL funnyman Bill Hader dedicates his wry best to figuring out everything you'd ever want to know about a Volkswagen in these spots on the VW Academy channel from Deutsch LA, directed by Jake Szymanski with Caviar Los Angeles.
TED Partnerships, organizers of the famed - and star-studded - conference series that focuses on big ideas, predicting the future and developing "ingenious solutions to global problems" has issued a challenge: create an ad worth spreading. Now an ad worth spreading should be nothing new to the ad community because every ad should be crafted in a way that makes it worth being seen by many. Sadly, that's not the reality in which we live.
The Tracy Awards, honoring the worst this business has to offer, is out with its winners for 2010. Included on this year's list is work for Oreo, Doubletree, Heineken, State Farm, Couvoisier and much more. Here's the full list of winners:
- Best simultaneous destruction of the last shreds of dignity Shaq, Apollo Ohno, Serena Williams, and Eli Manning had left: Oreo - "Heads or Tails."
- Best use of Photoshop to sledge hammer home an already belabored point: Doubletree - "Double Tree Family."
- Best use of sentimentality to insult the collective intelligence of humanity: Foundation for a Better Life - "Sportsmanship."
- Best use of copywriting in a ... billboard!: Sizzler - "How do you Sizzler?"
- Best casual sexism since 1963: Summer's Eve - "How to ask for a raise."
- Best sad attempt to out-Bud Light Bud Light: Heineken - "The Tube."
- Best use of heavy-handed hyperbole to erase all semblance of credibility: PCRM - "Consequences."
- Best use of forced diversity since every college ad ever: State Farm - "Dap."
- Best use of arrogance to remind us that cognac isn't just for rich people and douche bags, but also for rich douche bags: Courvoisier - "You wish."
- Best use of a logo to make it look like your brand was invented in an airport bathroom: Gravity Defying Shoes - "Sperm Logo."
- Best use of child labor to write copy: Cold-EEZE - "Facebook Packaging Tie-in."
If you're heading to Las Vegas in January for Affiliate Summit, which has moved to the very posh Wynn, then you'll want to know all about where and when the best parties will be held. Luckily, that information is beginning to flow in and we're happy to share it with you.
First off, Moss Networks, which has held many successful parties at ad:tech and Affiliate Summit in the past will be producing the Ultimate Affiliate Event for sponsors Empyre Media and DankCash held January 9 at 10PM at the Blush Boutique Nightclub. As always, there will be a hosted bar, live entertainment, a DJ and maybe even a visit from the dance foursome that often frequents Moss Networks parties. If you want to attend or sponsor, head over to the website.