A couple weeks ago, LeadsCon East took place in New York City. We were there to take a look at the conference and what role it plays in the advertising space. Well, friends, when you cut through all the bullshit, advertising is about sales. And sales don't happen without good leads. Yes, advertising helps generate leads but there is an entire industry devoted just to the process of developing good leads.
You will all be happy to know though that when TV budgets are reduced it has negative ramifications for SEO and online lead generation according to a panel on direct marketing. Going to Cannes and winning awards is fun. But the real work takes place behind the scenes, much further down the pipeline. It's not sexy and it's a lot of hard work.
If you think pretty pictures and Super Bowl commercials are all you need to make your numbers then you need to slap yourself in the face and go look at what happens in your brand's back room.
Lecture over. Now on to the fun stuff. Pictures.
For the last two years, McCann Erikson's More Fucking Cowbell has won the annual Advertising Week Battle of the Ad Bands. And rightly so. They rock. But just how long can a dynasty like this last? After all, whatever happened to Whitesnake? Poison? Iron Maiden?
On Tuesday September 28 at the Highline Ballroom beginning at 8PM, you'll all have the chance to see whether or not McCann can keep its title. Or, if you're so inclined, see if you can beat them. If you work in an agency and you have a band, submit your entry here (PDF).
Otherwise, just go. It's a lot of fun.
- And for some really screwed up fashion advertising, look no further than Patrizia Pepe's Fall/Winter campaign.
- Can't get enough Old Spice? Check out the Old Spice Voice Mail Generator.
- If you're a fan of the MINI and you just can't get enough of their commercials, well, now there's an app for that.
- PSFK is out with its Future of Health report. It will be used together with a brief presented to teams of creatives to develop a new UNICEF design.
- Here's the story behind that Paul Arden New Directors Showcase presentation in Cannes.
The ADC, at a benefit dinner November 4 at the ADC Gallery will celebrate this years' Hall of fame inductees. This year's crop include:
Fabien Baron, creative director; currently editorial director, Interview magazine
Matthew Carter, typographer
William Drenttel and Jessica Helfand, founders of Winterhouse
Philip Hays (posthumous), illustrator, educator
Brigitte Lacombe, portrait, film and travel photographer
George Nelson (posthumous), designer, author
Christoph Niemann, illustrator
Dan Wieden, cofounder, Wieden+Kennedy
It's all right here.
- Medicare spokesman Andy Griffith appears in a new commercial touting the health care reform law and outlining some of its benefits.
- Liv Tyler will appear in an upcoming Fall/Winter campaign for G Star Raw jeans.
- Sunday night, Sarah McLachlan performed at JetBlue's JFk terminal, part of the brand's Live from T5 concert series.
- It's invite only but ClickBooth wil be hosting a party at pulse360 August 16 at 9PM during Affiliate Summit
- Volvo experiment concludes Paris is the Naughty Capital of the World.
- Here's some more Calvin Klein Envy ads featuring Zoe Saldana. And if these additional images aren't enough for you, there's video coming in mid-August with Saldana talking about CK's envy-inducing underwear.
- The Girl Scouts are out with a new PSA featuring plus size models.These girls are plus size?
- Launched earlier in July, LG's The Young and the Connected online soap opera is worth a look.
Last night in Times Square Mad Men Season four premiered at 9PM, an hour earlier than the AMC broadcast premiere. And we were there. Beginning at 7PM, people lined up to have their picture taken with Elizabeth Moss, the actress who plays the Peggy Olson character. We have to say, she's the cutest in real life.
In addition to a step and repeat, there was a game show on the main stage which asked contestants trivia questions about the series. As all of this was going on, hired actors waltzed about the crowd dressed in full Mad Men garb. But they were outnumbered by many in the audience who also showed up to the premiere decked out in early sixties fashion.
A few minutes before the episode began, Moss was brought onstage by the moderator. She was joined by January Jones, the actor who plays the Betty Draper character. The two giggled and joked and then a cake was rolled out in celebration of Moss' birthday.
- PETA sets Oh Canada to baby seal slaughter.
- Old Spice remixed. Funny. Except for the way to long self-promo at the end from the video's creator.
- Jennifer Aniston gets naked to sell her new line of perfume.
- Why was the world's most famous plus-sized model photoshopped to look skinny?
- Tommy Hilfiger's Fall 2010 campaign does the Royal Tenenbaums.
Advertising can accomplish many things but when you get right down to it, it's all about sales. Because, without sales, there's nothing. No money to make product. No money to pay salaries. No money to expand. But sales don't magically happen. It takes work and it takes leads. Yes, leads.
And, just like there's an app for everything in this world, there's a conferences that's all about lead generation and online customer acquisition. It's called LeadsCon and it's happening in New York July 26-7 at the Marriott Marquis. We're going. If only to come to the realization that marketing and advertising aren't all about winning awards and spending a week in the south of France on the company dime. So leave your ego in Cannes and come meet the people who generate the revenue you
waste spend at the Gutter Bar.
Here is where I distill the Cannes experience and make a lot of reflections that the world will forget or, more likely, simply never read. So I'm gonna start with the videos and photos, culminating in the longest wrapup of Cannes ever, which you must all read or perish.
Not really. If, after all that, you still want to read the reflections, scroll all the way down.