For the first time in 6 years, AdWeek won't be publishing its Agency Report Card, the annual wankfest (like that, George?) which awards letter grades based on an agency' performance over the last year. AdWeek editor in Chief Mike Chapman cites the Nielsen's sales of Adweek and sister properties to e5 Global Media Holdings as the reason.
Last night The Art Directors Club awarded its first-ever ADC Black Cube for best-in-show in advertising to TBWA\Hunt\Lascaris Johannesburg, for "The Trillion Dollar Campaign" on behalf of client The Zimbabwean. The presentation was made at the ADC 89th Annual Awards gala at the SVA Theatre at the School of Visual Arts in New York.
This is the first time ADC has awarded an ADC Black Cube which was established for last year's 88th Annual Awards but had no winner. It's also the first time in 12 years the club has recognized a best-in-show. "The Trillion Dollar Campaign" from TBWA\Hunt\Lascaris Johannesburg also won an ADC Gold Cube in advertising for print innovation, campaign, poster/billboard/outdoor.
So here's (gross, too long, lame) another Cannes Young Lions Film Festival Water Aid entry. And here's another (yawn). And another (copy-challenged but interesting ending). And even another (point taken but could you beat the concept to death a little longer?).
We've tried to do this so many times and failed miserably. Actually, we didn't fail. We just got bored. But Memac Ogilvy Dubai and Muddville Dubai didn't get bored and they went all the way with this promotional video for Portfolio Night 8. The pair created a soliloquy or sorts using 30 advertising slogans, Here are the results.
Despite the UK elections resulting in no government and two men eloping along with volcanoes in Iceland and the threat of invasion from marauding Greeks, Murray Newlands, the one with the cute chick fan club, is planning to run a Social Media Marketing event in London on the 17th June just to prove life goes on.
At the event you will "learn to harness the viral power of social networks." Speakers include Chris Brogan who, if you don't know, is the BMOC in the social media space right now. Sadly, we won't make it to the event but you can get a 10% discount when you book using the code "adrants"
Get all the details here.
The One Club has announced the finalists for its 35th Anniversary One Show, One Show Design and One Show Interactive, part of Creative Week NYC. Finalists will be competing for Gold, Silver and Bronze Pencils at One Show Design on May 10th; the One Show on May 13th and One Show Interactive on May 14th.
- Though many hate it, we kinda like the new United Airlines/Contenental logo.
- The One Club will be host its Second Annual Creative Week in New York City from May 10 to May 16, 2010.
- Hey we like this promotional video for the Seattle International Film Festival.
- Here's the latest from ESPN' s World Cup "One Game Changes Everything" campaign promoting the FIFA World Cup in South Africa.
- Never date a Flyers fan even if she shaves her mustache.
- A long diatribe in Ad Age on the topic that bad work costs more than good.
Here's some more Portfolio Night 8 Host Agency Videos. Strange.
Ogilvy & Mather, New York: http://portfolionight.com/8/archives/355
Ogilvy & Mather, Mumbai: http://portfolionight.com/8/archives/1071
Ogilvy & Mather, Taipei: http://portfolionight.com/8/archives/1069
Not at all in association with their employer, McCann, Matt O'Rourke and Ale Lariu, group CDs at McCann are having a fucking party and they're calling it the Fucking Party. The purpose? To collect the largest database of swear words. Why? Who gives a shit. We like the idea. And we're on the list because, well, we know our trash talk.
But, no doubt, George Parker will be the most prolific contributor.
- GM's new tagline: Excellence for all. Seriously? Seriously?
- Celebrities speak out against poor fishing practices which harm dolphins.
- JetBlue has selected Mullen as its new ad agency.
- The effie's, along with Heineken, are honoring student creativity with the Collegiate PSA Challenge.
- It's Finnish but its about blogger/TBWA designer Riku Vassinen an his new digital marketing book. It's a cover version of Mobb Deep Shook Ones Prt.2. We heard "Foursquare" though.
- Idiotic ad of the day.
- Former Adrants Editor Angela Natividad, who will be back to cover Cannes for us this year, is covering Social Media and Community 2.0 in Boston this week. Her first post is entitled OMG! We Need to Do Social Media!