If your off to Vegas in mid-January for Affiliate Summit, you might want to keep track of all the parties that coincide with the conference. Thankfully, the job's been made easy with this Google Calendar (click Agenda to see all the events) tracking all the known social events occurring during the Summit.
Currently, there's parties sponsored by Buy.at, oneNetwork, ShareSale, Paulson Management Group and Affiliate Summit themselves which hosts two Hospitality events for those who actually want to talk and do business without shouting over loud music and having the inebriated spill drinks on them. See? Something for everyone.
Check out the details at the calendar. There's two events that involve bowling. Not exactly your average ad conference fare. Could be interesting. If you're going, I'll see you there.
It's no secret we've loved Barbarian Group from the start. From the first time we heard of them back in the days of Subservient Chicken to its more recent work for CNN and Dove, they have always impressed. And not just with their work but with who they are as people.
So we're super pleased they were just named Creativity magazine's Digital Company of the Year.
Co-Founders Rick Webb, Robert Hodgin, Keith Butler and Benjamin Palmer are amazingly talented. Boston office President Bruce Winterton is a great guy. Uber PR pro/Director of Communications Eva McCloskey does a stellar job telling the agency's story. They host amazing parties. What's not to love?
Recently lost your job? Sad, you'll miss the holiday party? Fear not, The American Society of Shit-Canned Media Elites is hosting a party Wednesday, December 17 at Ella Lounge from 8PM to 11PM.
Dance to the beats of Josh Link and enjoy free p.i.n.k. vodka drinks and $5 special from 8 PM to 9PM. If you're still employed, you get to buy the drinks after that.
Just so it's not all doom and gloom, it's also for a cause; New York Cares. So bring an old "gently worn" coat for the organization's coat drive.
So our dear friend Ask Wappling from Adland was in Italy last Thursday for the Sony Bravia Drome launch event which we, from thousands of miles away, covered here. While she was sitting in a hotel after the event, she overheard one Sony exec reading aloud the Adrants story on the event to another Sony exec all while three other invited bloggers and press were furiously typing their own coverage of the event. She thought it a bit bizarre.
- Piers Fawkes talks to creatives from Barbarian Group, Undercurrent, Naked and Electric Artists at Good Ideas 2009.
- Premium Network has launched PremiumChannels, 45 category-specific sites offering contextual targeting.
- ad:tech has launched its Call for Entries for its 2009 ad:tech Awards to be held during the San Francisco Conference in April. Entries are due January 23, 2009.
- Jason Heller shares his not so pleasant recent experience buying a new BMW and how his experience relates to social media.
Affiliate marketing, a $14 billion industry according to Forrester Research, is about making money online. It's not about less tangible practices such as branding and engagement which, while valid marketing methods, offer more nebulous, less concrete results.
Affiliate marketing is to the car dealer as branding and engagement are to the car manufacturer. While not mutually exclusive, one focuses primary on moving product and the other focuses on building brand loyalty.
If you don't attend Canada's first-ever Ad Week, you'll top off your creative career hustling gold watches. Or zazzing tourists over three-card monty. Or as one of those silver guys that move really, really slowly.
(Okay, probably not really, but think of the fun you could have snickering at the too-cool creative douchebags that all seem to get their retro glasses and sneakers at the same off-Broadway boutique.)
Positively charming guerrilla and print work by Bos/Toronto and Trevor//Peter Communications.
Blurb ("Real Books. Made By You.") is on a quest for castrated creative pitches, which it plans to compile in a volume called Killed Ideas Volume 1.
God knows this well of slighted egos is full to overflowing. But Blurb isn't in the creative industry, and apparently has no idea where to find its minions, so it's enlisted Ammo Marketing ("Stimulating Enduring Brand Conversations") to twist Ad Land's tap and get entries flowing.
Ammo in turn published this ad on craigslist, soliciting for city-based Mad Men that'll elicit saucy entries from colleagues.
It's a creative pitch for failed creative pitches!
Is it the imagination or is every industry conference moving to Vegas? Hey, no complaints. Vegas is fun. Really fun. Yes, for its 50th outing, the CLIOs will be held in Las Vegas over the course of three days and will be broken into five distinct events.
The five distinct award shows are:
- Moving Image Awards - recognizing Television/Cinema/Digital & Television/Cinema/Digital Technique mediums.
- Emerging Media Awards - recognizing Content & Contact, Innovative Media, Interactive, and Integrated mediums.
- Print & Radio Awards - recognizing Print, Radio, Direct Mail, Poster and Billboard mediums.
- Design Awards - recognizing Design mediums.
- Lifetime Achievement Awards - recognizing the outstanding and ongoing contribution of an individual who leads the industry forward.
Miami Beach is fun but seriously. It pales in comparison to Vegas. See you there.
Get your entries in. The Call for Entry deadline in January 23, 2009.
- Two key players shaping Detroit's social media strategy, Ford's Scott Monty and GM's Christopher Barger, appeared on The BeanCast, this week to talk about their social media efforts for the auto industry, the proposed bailout and that private jet fiasco.
- The B-52s have lent their sound to NBC network's ongoing CHIME IN campaign recording its own version of NBC's chimes, which will air in promo form during the network's primetime lineup.
- Marketing agency Cunning is ten years old. Help them blow out the candles on their virtual birthday cake.
- On Tuesday, December 16 at the ADC Gallery on 106 West 29th Street, The Art Directors Club will host its holiday party where the Art Directors Annula 87 and the ADC Young Guns 6 Annual will be made available for purchase.