There's over one million iPhone apps now. One million. Or something like that. Perhaps ten percent actually do something. The other ninety? Well, here's an example of what people are wasting their time creating and downloading. The street promotion for this app is actually more fun than the app itself.
Minneapolis agency mono created this pointless timewaster. Oh wait. People are into this unicorn crap. So we guess it's all good.
- Here's a 22 minute "mockumentary" from Mechanism that promotes the Electronic Arts World War II game, The Saboteur.
- Here's the first of many. One man's list of the Top Ten Worst Marketing Moves of 2009.
- Lost your dog? There's an app for that.
- And in other lists...here's BNET's Ten Worst Ads of 2009.
Ladies, don't you hate it when your man is obsessed with stupid things like cars and trophies and memorabilia? The girl in this DIY Network commercial certainly is. But not in the way you'd expect. In the end, she's a good girl who serves her man exactly what he needs And for those who hated the Method Shiny Suds commercial, yes, she probably is perpetuating the woman-as-sexual-slave-to-men stereotype. But, hey, this is advertising. This is what we do. We live on stereotypes like vampires live on blood.
So you think sex sells and GoDaddy is successful because of it's sex-laced ad campaign filled with women whose tops can't contain their bulging, over-sized breasts and hot race car drivers who can't act? Jeremy Fox doesn't think so and set out to prove it by asking people on the street if they'd ever heard of GoDaddy and, if so, could explain what GoDaddy does. Predictably, the results are not very good for GoDaddy.
Of course Jeremy works for GoDaddy competitor IX Web Hosting and wants us to know his company does a better job than GoDaddy.
- And now that fashion brands are involved, we've relabeled the flashmob FlashWalk.
- Want to be Phamous in Vegas? Oops, that's another casino's thing. Anyway, Mandalay Bay has launched the Untamed Adventure Contest. Facebook. Untamed moments. Compromising positions. Pictures. Prizes.
- Dear PR people: Don't lie. You don't want to "gauge my interest." You want me to give you press. There's no need for code words.
- Please Hire Us. Crispin Porter + Bogusky interns beg for jobs. Complete with retro flashing logo.
- If you somehow missed it during the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show, here's the :90 Michael Bay-directed commercial for your viewing pleasure.
In an effort to hype the fact they'll be hosting parties during the holiday season, bartenders from the Prestwich (UK) TGI Fridays make Tom Cruise (in the movie Cocktail) look like a baby playing with a milk bottle. The Viral Factory filmed the Prestwich bartenders flipping cherries into glasses, launching a shaker shot 30 feet across the restaurant, slicing 12 limes in two seconds and serving seven flaming Sambucas in eight seconds.
We're not sure we want to be anywhere near the bar when those flaming Sambucas are served but it sure is fun to watch.
- Mrs' Claus gets in on with Frosty the Snowman for Boost Mobile.
- OK. Kinda funny: Notre Dame Head Football Coach Search Gets Professional Help.
- This is really, really bad but since it's Christmas and it features Santa Claus, you might as well watch it.
- Addicted to texting? Even in the middle of Winter? Then you'll love Gloves For Addicts.
- "Danica is the quintessential GoDaddy Girl, she is a beautiful woman competing in a male-dominated sport. She's passionate. She's focused. She's all about doing what it takes to win and we love that about her. Not to mention she's edgy, smokin' hot and as tough as any competitor anywhere." Yes, Danica Patrick has re-upped for three more years of GoDaddy silliness.
As you all know, we occasionally really love things most people don't. This might be one of those things. We just can't get enough of this work from 16 year old Goofy Boi who hooked up with Pretzelmake for, ahem, the Four Buck Hook Up, a music video that plays like an actual music video more than it does a commercial for the pretzel chain.
We're a sucker for derivatively simple, Owl City-like sing-a-long style songs...even though we never sing along. And anyway, who doesn't like a great young love story? Even if it comes in the form of a commercial?
In September, a Pretzelmaker executive found Goofy Boi's work online and worked with him to create this ideo to support a current promotion. Goofy Boi recorded the song in October and shot the video at a local mall the first week of November.
Give it a watch. And be nice to the guy.
So if a pre-movie sing-a-long ad came on while you were waiting for your movie to start, would you participate? Memorex thinks so and has created one for the holiday season. Check it out here. Created by Olson, there's all kinds of other elements of the campaign which you can also view on the page.
- Like to play piano? Like the musician Adam Ben Exra? Obsessed with YouTube? Then this Instrumentube thing is for you.
- Like to dance? Like the game Bop-It? Obsessed with...oh wait...we just wrote that. Anyway, check out the new "viral" for the game.
Be sure to check out the latest BeanCast with Angela Natividad, Joe Jaffe, Kelly Edison and Ian Schafer. The ad gurus discuss Black Friday, Wal-Mart, pay-per-tweet and crowdsourcing.
- Also, the latest AdVerve podcast with Angela Natividad and Bill Green is out. Give it a listen here.