Clicks Irrelevant to Offline Sales, Big Impressions Don't Net High Reach
Nielsen has released two new white papers, "Reaching the Right Audiences Online: Early Findings from Nielsen Online Campaign Ratings," and "Beyond Clicks and Impressions: Examining the Relationship Between Online Advertising and Brand Building." Tidbits from the two papers include:
- Online campaigns are being consistently delivered to people outside the advertiser's intended audience.
- Campaigns with high impressions are still only reaching a fraction of the intended audience.
- Online delivers audiences more effectively than some popular TV shows.
- Click-through rate is not the right metric to measure brand impact - virtually no relationship exists between clicks and brand metrics or offline sales.
- But, brand metrics for online campaigns can predict offline sales impact.