As part of its Not Normal campaign, MINI has launched MINI Art Beat, a "synthesized digital design, music and interactive social media" effort that has resulted in a MINI Countryman custom-fitted with high-resolution LEDs. MINI Art Beat gives fans a chance to stream a live animation directly onto the MINI as it takes its night cruises - so both urban passers-by and online viewers can watch.
A Happy Tim Armstrong
- AOL has agreed to buy Adap.tv for $405 million allowing AOL to expand its video advertising offerings.
- Dish Network Chairman Charlie Ergen -- whose company has 35-plus broadcast stations off the air in a fee dispute -- expects more blackouts, with programmers continuing to raise prices for carriage rights.
- According to the Alliance for Audited Media, formerly the Audit Bureau of Circulations, total magazine circulation fell 1% from 292.9 million in the six-month period ending June 2012 to 289.9 million in the six-month period ending June 2013.
- OMG! L'Oreal model Cheryl Cole is appearing in a skincare campaign...wait for it...without wearing foundation
It would seem brands are tripping over themselves to launch Vine campaigns despite the fact Instagram video seems to be crushing Vine. Well, brands won't let that minor detail deter them from having their day with Vine.
Just today, Honda has returned with its Live Vine Day promotion in which the brand responds to people who use particular hashtags. And now we have Jack in the Box unleashing 101 Vine videos that illustrate the brand's Go Big or Go Hungry approach to dining.
While the brand, working with Struck, is urging people to create their own Go Bog or Go Gome Vines, we're not sure we really need more than 101 videos illustrating just how insane people are when it comes to consuming -- or playing with -- food.
To promote its annual summer clearance sale, Honda, today, will do another Live Vine Day in which the brand will respond directly to consumers who use the #HondaLove hashtag on Twitter with live Vine videos encouraging them to share their personal stories of #HondaLove.
The brand's initial effort on July 15 responded to tweets with the #wantnewcar hashtag with live Vine videos encouraging users to ditch their old cars and purchase a new Honda through the Summer Clearance Sales Event. On Twitter, the hashtag #wantnewcar received more than 100 million impressions and nearly 10,000 #wantnewcar mentions.
It's not the first time Survivor has been copied nor will it be the last. After all, who doesn't love watching a collection of hot and not, smart and dumb, strong and weak compete with one another for our own vicarious pleasure?
TV star and "survival expert" Les Stroud will train 16 contestants to compete in SOS Island: Survival of the Smartest, an online video series sponsored by Samsung. It will be shot and live-streamed from the remote SOS Island in the Caribbean. Viewers will vote for a winner with the last remaining contestant winning the grand prize: their own island.
Everyone's doing it, right? In two ways, actually. Everyone's getting on the real-time marketing bandwagon which kicked up steam with this year's Super Bowl and then again during the Academy Awards. Now we have the Royal Birth and, of course, marketers were all over that as well. Oh and the other way? Everyone's writing about it too. So pardon us if we join the party.
Going in a completely different direction than they did with Intel + Toshiba's The Beauty Inside, Pereira & O'Dell is out with The Power Inside, a hilarious new content marketing film directed by Will Speck and Josh Gordon and starring Harvey Keitel.
- Google has added favicons to its AdSense ad units.
- Awesome advice for those looking to become a social media guru:)
- Here's more data that support Apple's latest ad campaign is a failure.
- Seems a couple of ad ladies are miffed over the fact Nike doesn't sell shoes in women's sizes and aren't designed appropriately for women. Need more pink, we guess.
- AOL plans to launch an ad-tech upfront with a focus on programmatic. AOL CEO Tim Armstrong says,"It's essentially a machine upfront. We believe you will have an upfront commitment cycle that will rival TV."
- Not everyone is a fan of the Dove Real Beauty campaign. Predictably, it's a fashion form founder who has become a vocal critic of the campaign.
- A new study finds too much social media usage causes low self esteem in teenaged girls? How about in us grownups who can't stand reading about the latest and greatest accomplishments of their peers?
- Joe Jaffe's Evol8tion has acquired Bob Knorpp's Beancast podcast. Bob will continue the podcast and become SVP Chief Analyst of Evol8tion's BrandWatch product.
- A grounded viewpoint on inbound marketing that doesn't trash inbound marketing.
- This is just funny. To promote the 2013 Wiener Nationals (a dog race), Orange County-based DGWB shot a promo using GoPro cameras.
After watching this film touting the 2014 Lexus IS created by LA-based Team One which was made by editing together photos from 200 Instagrammers who shot the vehicle over the course of a day, you might ask why bother?
Or you might marvel at the thinking behind the effort which leveraged the Instagram social community and the power of hashtags to uniquely create an ad in a manner which has never been done before.