If you missed SXSW Interactive in Austin earlier this week (don't miss it next year), you can capture some of the magic Cliff Notes-style with Mike Rohde's Sketchnotes. While sitting in sessions and in between sessions, Mike created 34 artistic sketches he made in his Moleskin while at the conference. You can see all the sketches on Mike's blog here or on Flickr.
- Those Argentinians sure know how to orchestrate a big ass car commercial. apparently it took a crew of 170. Hmm. CGI sounds cheaper.
- Our favorite political pundit, Obama Girl, has been named by E! as the "#1 Hottest Woman on the Internet."
- Advertising Anarchy didn't like the "Bud Light" hottie on the poster in the Dell Lounge at SXSW.
- Don't miss the world's worst small business ad. Or is it the world's greatest viral for YouTube...or somebody.
- AOL is buying social networking site Bebo for $850 million. Damn! That's a steal compared to overly bloated Facebook :-)
At SXSW, SocialThing! is making its debut. SocialThing! is a social media aggregator of sorts which allows those who use social media sites such as Flickr, Twitter, Facebook and others to pull together all the individual information from those various sites into one site that presents the user with a merged stream. Changes and additions to the user's individual sites can be made directly from SocialThing! which, ultimately, will work with the soon to be adopted OLAP protocol which allows a person to have one identity that can be used across multiple sites.
Of course, it's mobile enabled and will soon have browser plug in capabilities as well as it's own set of RSS feeds for users to do with what they please.
You can debut all the privacy controls you want, but there's nothing like a generic safety PSA to show the feds you mean business.
See "Don't Stop the Dialogue," produced by Big Fuel for MySpace. It will run on iKeepSafe.org and MySpace Safety along with featured safety tips and a soothing message from CSO Hemanshu Nigam.
Chill effect much?
Havas' BLM Quantum has unleashed a make-your-own-video (remember when we had simpler names for things?) contest on MySpace in the United Kingdom called Think Outside the Box which urges people to "get green" and recycle their pizza boxes into ingenious new uses.
Have at it CGM (oops, we mean make-your-own-video) fans.
- This Canadian spot for Toyota's Matrix has fun envisioning a day full of potential as highlighted by the vehicle's headlights.
- While this happened back in late January, we thought we'd share the news that as part of an agency consolidation, GM has opted to move its ACDelco account, with Campbell-Ewald since 1917, to Publicis Groupe on May 1.
- Facebook gets poked! Right. Facebook backlash YouTube-style.
- Pfizer has pulled its long-ish running commercial featuring Jarvik heart inventor Robert Jarvik because he was portrayed as a doctor when, in fact, he's not.
- HBO is at it again with quirky videos promoting their shows. These new BBDO-created videos show two stories twice with second ending the more daring one, representative of stories you might see on HBO.
Perhaps it's application fatigue. Perhaps it's incessant friend request. Perhaps it's social media overload but according to Hitwise, traffic to Facebook is down 27 percent for the week ending February 23 from a high during the holidays.
Hitwise acknowledges this could be a seasonal trend citing traffic increases during both the Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks due to a significant portion of Facebook's users (40 percent 18-24) being out of school and having more time to use the site.
Inner Leprechaun? Inner Leprechaun? WTF? Inner Leprechaun? Seriously. OK, it's a little funny but Inner Leprechaun? Well, apparently Bennigan's, a chain of Irish-themed restaurants living in the shadow of Friday's, think people need to get the inner leprechaun on, forget about those healthy blender drinks and rush out to one of the chain's establishment for a nice high calorie, fat-filled meal.
Anyway, the ad points to a site on which you can create Lepregrams (which AdFreak's David Gianatasio thinks sounds too much like the not so warm and cuddly word "lepergram"). little leprechaun-themed messages you can send to your friend. There's other goodies to play with too but Inner Leprechaun?
- Following Vanessa Minnello, bootylicious Kim Kardasian is the new spokesbabe for Bongo Jeans.
- If you're sad to see that really hot office mate leave for another agency, send his or her picture over to Office Hotties Who Leave, a site which features images of "men and women who make coming to work more bearable."
- American Express, Coke, JCPenney, L'Oreal, General Motors, Mars/Masterfoods, MasterCard, McDonald's, Procter & Gamble, Bertolli Frozen Dinners, and Dove Cream Oil Bodywash are a few of the confirmed advertisers for ABC's 80th Annual Academy Awards broadcast.