- Natalie Portman is the new face for Dior Chérie fragrance and will appear in a series of print ads shot by Tim Walker and a TV campaign by Sofia Coppola in March 2011.
- In 2011 80% of US businesses with 100+ employees will use social media marketing, up 42% from 2008.
- Daffy's does AssCrackVertising.
- A New Zealand ad campaign has raised the ire of people after suggesting low-carb beer is only for homosexuals.
- In most places bras are sold by having models wear them while prancing around as if they want to have sex with you. In Taiwan, they just hang them on a Christmas tree.
- Absolut is out with an iPad version of its Drinkspiration app.
- To help raise money for the United Way, Colle+McVoy has launched Happy Exchange where everyone is invited to join the effort by posting their smile for just $1.
- Calling McDonald's a "hip hangout" is never a good thing. Especially in a forced product placement.
- Former buy.at executives have launched Performance Horizon Group which is out with new products aimed at improving campaign management for agencies and lead generation for publishers.
- Gossip Girl's Blake Lively has been tapped (not literally, of course...because that would be gross) by Karl Lagerfeld to front his Winter/Spring 2011 Chanel ad campaign.
Miss us? Yea, it's been quiet here for a few days. But it was for good reason., We were at a conference called SocialFresh and it was held on a cruise ship with seriously limited internet access. More on that later. For now, let's talk about Woody Goomsba and Leavenworth Washington. Never heard of it? Well, you will have after you've viewed this video promoting the Bavarian-themed destination.
Unlike your average tourism video which barfs up transitional imagery of a destination's supposed beauty, Leavenworth takes a different approach. it's not a new approach but it works. The strategy? Hot women dressed in sexed-up Dirndle wear who hang with crackin' nutcracker Woody Goomsba and gyrate to the sounds of some beat heavy hip hop rap.
Remember music glass in elementary school? You had to learn the fundamentals of musical notes. From A to G. Octaves. And all that good stuff. Remember when you first laid eyes on a bra and realized they were sized using letters of the alphabet akin to musical notes being assigned to letters of the alphabet? Remember how you never made a correlation between the naming of musical notes and the cup size of a bra?
Yea, because no one had ever made that correlation before. But now - and it was only a matter of time - a brand has made that very correlation. That brand is La Senze and the correlation comes in the form of The Cup Size Choir.
A new video from La Senza rings in the holiday season with women ranging in cup size from A to G who, while dressed in lingerie, sing a holiday tune as they gyrate on beds. There's even an interactive version where you can click each girl to have her sing her note for you.
An ad on Craig's List seeks additional models for a commercial that's being shot for a Chicago area lingerie brand. The ad promises no nudity or provocative photography will be taken. Say what? This is a lingerie shoot isn't it? How do you shoot a lingerie commercial without being at least a tint bit provocative?
The only thing we can come up with is that Sears is coming out with a line of lingerie for women who don't want to feel sexy while wearing it. Maybe targeted towards the over 75 set?
And on top of all of this, the gig is unpaid. But no worries, ladies. The ad promises the "material will be seen by ad execs and is a great way to be seen." The question is, seen by ad execs for what purpose? We're not going to ponder the answer to that question because it can only go south from here.
- Oragina spoofs commercial after commercial after commercial.
- Las Vegas ad campaign targets recession survivors.
- If you follow fashion advertising you'll be interested to know Anna Dello Russo is out with a new campaign for her fragrance. If you're not, then just move right along.
- Interested in what online video can do for your marketing? Check out this webinar by video blogging expert Steve Garfield.
- And don't forget to submit your hotness to Advertising Hotties.
Coral Perez, an unemployed flight attendant who used to work for the now defunct Mexicana airline, gathered together ten of her sexist co-workers and made a 2011 pin up calendar in an effort to garner support for the airline. Of the campaign, Perez said, "It occurred to me because we all needed money, and I thought that with so many pretty girls among Mexicana's staff there were bound to be some who'd be interested."
The calendar features images of the flight attendants dressed in bikinis and sexed up flight attendant garb.
- How Google Instant can destroy your brand's reputation. And the steps you can take to avoid this from happening.
- Royal Caribbean has teamed up with Starbucks and DreamWorks with a brand partnership for its newest ship, Allure of the Seas.
- Sarah Jessica Parker has hooked up with Barnes 7 Noble to hype the retailer's NookColor eReader in a series of commercials which broke this week.
- eMarketer reports holiday ecommerce will hit $38.5 billion this year, up 14.3 percent from 2009.
- Seven things you didn't know display ads could do.
- Voting is so amazing it will give you an orgasm.
- LeBron James is trying to sell his line of Home Court furniture to a wise ass.
- Yawn. Red Bull is hosting a consumer-generated advertising contest.
- Want to see German hottie Sylvie van der Vaart? Well then you have to watch this 4:30 video about how a promotional art installation was put together for Xbox Kinect
Amidst the onslaught of bikinis, celebrities and breasts, it's nice to see a few other subject areas rise to the top of the pile on Adrants this past week. Tops among the non boob-related stories last week was the news that the stunningly beautiful Embrace Life seat belt safety PSA won YouTube's Ad of the Year Award. And on the flip side of that stellar work, we were treated to some of the most horrifically forced product placement ever to grace television. Enjoy reliving the week:
1. Polish Politician Pimps Political Prowess in Bikini
2. Taylor Momsen Didn't Always Wear Black Eye Shadow and Slutty Clothes
3.Law School Shocked Over Racy Diesel Ad Shoot
4. Victoria Justice Joins Photoshop Disasters For Got Milk Campaign
5. Hypocrisy + Idiocy = Candies Safe Sex PSA
6. Facebook Hates Breast Feeding
7. 'Days of Our Lives' Riddled With Horrific Product Placement
8. Beckinsale, Deschanel, Larter Drop, Twist and Bleed For Absolut
9. Infographic Compares Mad Men Era to Today
10. Embrace Life PSA Wins YouTube Ad of the Year